Ad

Monday 8 June 2015

Why Go to Catholic Mass? What is Spiritual Communion?

What is a Catholic Mass?

Mass is the central act of worship in the life of a Catholic. Going to Mass is about spending time with God, but also receiving his graces (inner strength to live the Christian life). The name ‘Mass’ comes the final blessing said by the priest in Latin ‘Ite missa es’ meaning “to send out” as Jesus Christ sent his disciples out to the world to take his teaching to them we are to do the same.
Graces Derived from Assisting at Mass
 
  1. The Mass is Calvary continued.
  2. Every Mass is worth as much as the sacrifice of our Lord's life, sufferings, and death.
  3. Holy Mass is the most powerful atonement for your sins.
  4. At the hour of death the Masses you have heard will be your greatest consolation.
  5. Every Mass will go with you to judgment and plead for pardon.
  6. At Mass you can diminish more or less temporal punishment due to your sins, according to your fervor.
  7. Assisting devoutly at Holy Mass you render to the sacred humanity of Our Lord the greatest homage.
  8. He supplies for many of your negligences and omissions.
  9. He forgives the venial sins which you have not confessed.  The power of Satan over you is diminished.
  10. You afford the souls in Purgatory the greatest possible relief.
  11. One Mass heard during life will be of more benefit to you than many heard fro you after your death.
  12. Your are preserved from dangers and misfortunes which otherwise might have befallen you.  You shorten your purgatory.
  13. Every Mass wins for you a higher degree of glory in Heaven.
  14. You receive the priest's blessing which Our Lord ratifies in Heaven.
  15. You kneel amidst a multitude of holy angels, who are present at the adorable Sacrifice with reverential awe.
  16. You are blessed in your temporal goods and affairs.
In eternity, we shall fully realize that it was certainly worthwhile to have assisted at Holy Mass daily. 

PRAY FOR PRIESTS THAT THEY MAY OFFER
THE MASS WITH HOLY LOVE AND REVERENCE.

Holy Communion - The Holy Eucharist
Each time we receive Holy Communion our venial sins are forgiven.
Christ revealed to St. Gertrude the Great that each time ONE person receives Holy Communion something good happens to every being in heaven, on earth and in purgatory.
The Curate of Ars said that a Communion well received is worth more than 20,000 NFF (New Franc - French currency a great amount in those days) given to the poor.
Each time we receive Communion our place in heaven is raised forever, our stay in purgatory shortened.
After receiving Holy Communion Our Lord said we should pray:

"Most Sacred Heart of Jesus
may the whole world burn with love for You!"


(revelation to Gabrielle Bossis in France)
Prayers after Mass and Communion
Prayers before the Crucifix
Look down on me Good and Gentle Jesus,
while before Thy Face I humbly kneel and with burning soul pray and beseech Thee to fix deep in my heart livelysentiments of faith, hope and charity, true contrition for my sins and a firm
purpose of amendment, while I contemplate with great love and tender pity Thy Five Wounds,
pondering over them within me and calling to mind
the words which David Thy Prophet said of Thee my Jesus,
"They have pierced My Hands and My Feet,
they have numbered all My Bones."  (Ps 21: 17-18)
Our Father, Hail Mary, Glory Be, for the Holy Father's intentions.
Plenary indulgence when said after Communion (S. Paen. Ap., 2 Feb 1934)
Anima Christi
Soul of Christ, sanctify me.
Body of Christ, save me.
Blood of Christ, inebriate me.
Water from the side of Christ, wash me.
Passion of Christ, strengthen me.
O good Jesus, hear me.
Within Thy Wounds hide me.
Suffer me not to be separated from Thee.
From the malignant enemy, defend me.
In the hour of my death, call me.
And bid me come to Thee.
That with Thy saints I may praise Thee.
Forever and ever.
Amen
St. Ignatius Loyola

An indulgence of 300 days.  An indulgence of 7 years , if recited after Holy Communion.

WHY Should I go to Mass Every Day?

"The Mass is the most perfect form of prayer." Pope Paul VI

For each Mass we hear with devotion, Our Lord sends a saint to comfort us at death. (revelation of Christ to St. Gertrude the great)

St. Padre Pio, the stigmatic priest, said, the world could exist more easily without the sun than without the Mass.

The Cure' Ars, St. Jean Vianney said, if we knew the value of the Mass we would die of joy.

A great doctor of the Church, St. Anselm, declares that a single Mass offered for oneself during life may be worth more than a thousand celebrated for the same intention after death.  St. Leonard of Port Maurice supports this statement by saying that one Mass before death may be more profitable than many after it.

"The Holy Mass would be of greater profit if people had it offered in their lifetime, rather than having it celebrated for the relief of their souls after death."  Pope Benedict XV

Once, St. Teresa was overwhelmed with God's Goodness and asked Our Lord, "How can I thank you?"  Our Lord replied, "ATTEND ONE MASS."
Spiritual Communion
The best way to receive Christ is in Holy Communion at Mass. 

Yet for those times you can’t make Mass, or can’t take Communion because of an unconfessed mortal sin (for which you can ask for and receive God’s forgiveness in the Sacrament of Penance), you can still reach out to Him by making a Spiritual Communion in prayer!

St. Thomas Aquinas once defined a Spiritual Communion as “an ardent desire to receive Jesus in the Most Holy Sacrament [in Communion at Mass] and in lovingly embracing Him as if we had actually received Him.”


The value of a spiritual Communion well made is enormous.  We can and should make one frequently.  Simply think of Jesus and how much He love us and how much we love Him, then ask Our Blessed Mother to ask Her Divine Son to come into our hearts.  We can offer these Communions for the interest of the Sorrowful and Immaculate Heart of Mary, noting our special intention!
Act of Spiritual Communion

My Jesus,
I believe that You
are present in the Most Holy Sacrament.
I love You above all things and I desire to receive You into my soul.
Since I cannot at this moment receive You sacramentally,
come at least spiritually into my heart. 
I embrace You as if You were already there          and unite myself wholly to You. 
Never permit me to be separated from You.
Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment