Ad

Thursday 25 May 2017

Ascension of Our Lord - Meditation and Prayers

The Ascension of Jesus Christ into Heaven



Ascension
Meditation

On the fortieth day after His Resurrection, after having trained His Apostles for their high calling to establish the Kingdom of God on earth, Jesus prepared to ascend on high to where the glories of heaven awaited Him.  He blessed His loving Mother and His Apostles and disciples and bade them farewell.  A cloud received Him out of their sight.

The countless blessed spirits whom He had released from limbo accompanied Him as the first fruits of the redemption.  All the hosts of heaven’s Angels came out to meet Him, the Savior of the world.

As He took His place beside His heavenly Father, the whole court of heaven gave forth a glorious song of praise.  It was the song heard by John in his visions:  “Worthy is the Lamb That was slain to receive power and riches, wisdom and strength, honor and glory and praise!”  (Rv 5:12)

Jesus ascended into heaven to enter into possession of His glory.  While on earth He had always enjoyed the vision of God, but the glory of His Sacred Humanity had shone forth only at His Transfiguration.  On His Ascension into heaven He took His place as Man beside His heavenly Father and was exalted above all other human creatures.

The night before He died Jesus prayed to His Father: “I have given You glory on earth by finishing the work You gave Me to do.   Do You now, Father, give Me glory at Your side, glory I had with You before the world began” (Jn 17:4-5)

Since His Humanity is united to the Divine Word, the second Person of the Blessed Trinity, It enjoys the right of eternal glory.  It shares with the Father the infinite bliss and mighty power of God.  This is the reward for all He has done and merited on earth.  In heaven He is raised above all because on earth He has lowered Himself below all.

When the struggle of this life is over Jesus will give us the grace to share His joy and triumph in heaven for all eternity.

Jesus ascended into heaven to be our Mediator with His Father.  There He is pleading for us.  He ascended into heaven to give an account to His heavenly Father of the great work He had done on earth.  The Church was born, grace springs up in abundance from His Cross of Calvary and is distributed through the Sacraments, God’s justice is satisfied, hell and death are conquered, heaven is opened and man saved.  Jesus had a right to the glorious homecoming.

Christ’s Ascension is also the assurance of our own ascension into heaven after the Last Judgment.  He entered into His Kingdom to prepare a place for us, for He promised to come again to take us to Himself. 

Let us ascend into heaven with Jesus in spirit, there to dwell by faith, hope and charity.  Let us seek only the joys that are true!


The Word of God

“After speaking to them, the Lord Jesus was taken up into heaven and took His seat at God’s right hand.” Mk 16:19

“When He ascended on high, He took a host of captives and gave gifts to men.”  Eph 4:8

“Since you have been raised up to company with Christ, set your hearts on what pertains to high realms where Christ is seated at God’s right hands.  Be intent on things above rather on things on earth.”  Col 3:1-2


Christ's Ascension into Heaven

Novena Prayers

Jesus, I honor You on the feast of Your Ascension into heaven.  

I rejoice with all my heart at the glory 
into which You entered to reign as King of heaven and earth.  

When the struggle of this life is over, 
give me the grace to share Your joy 
and triumph in heaven for all eternity.

I believe that You entered into Your glorious Kingdom 

to prepare a place for me, 
for You promised to come again 
to take me to Yourself. 

Grant that I may seek only the joys of Your friendship, 
so that I may deserve to be united with You in heaven.

In the hour of my homecoming, 
when I appear before Your Father 
to give an account of my life on earth, 
have mercy on me.

Jesus, in Your love for me 
You have brought me from evil to good 
and from misery to happiness.  

Give me the grace to rise 
above my human weakness.  

May Your Humanity 
give me courage in my weakness 
and free me from my sins.

Through Your grace 
give me the courage of perseverance 
for You have called and justified me by faith.  

May I hold fast to the life You have given me 
and come to the eternal gifts You promised.

You love me, dear Jesus.  
Help me to love You in return.  

I ask You to grant this special favor (Mention your request.)

By Your unceasing care, 
guide my steps toward the life of glory 
You have prepared for those who love You.  

Make me grow in holiness and thank You 
by a life of faithful service.


Sacred Heart of Jesus, Have Mercy on us!


Prayer of Praise to Jesus in Glory

I praise You, dearest Heart of Jesus, Fountain of all goodness.

I praise You, most kind Heart of Jesus, 
for the boundless graces that have flowed 
and shall continue to flow from You into the souls of the just.

I praise You, most gentle Heart of Jesus, 
for the tender love with which You have 
so often refreshed devout hearts through Divine consolations.

I praise You, most loving Heart of Jesus, 
for the fullness of Your grace, 
the splendor of Your virtues, 
the generosity of Your Heart, 
and the purity of Your love.

I praise You, royal Heart of Jesus, 
for Your victory over death and sin, 
Your power over souls, 
and Your triumph over the living and the dead.

I praise You, Heart so poor and yet so rich, 
for having despised all earthly riches 
and for having renounced all earthly honors.

I praise You, most obedient Heart of Jesus, 
that hungered after the fulfillment of the Divine Will 
and thirsted after the greater glory of God and the salvation of souls.

I praise You, most generous Heart of Jesus, 
that did not seek its own glory; 
most patient Heart, that willingly bore the greatest insults; 
most unselfish Heart, that longed for and lovingly embraced the Cross.

Most Sacred Heart of Jesus, 
teach me to love You with my whole Heart, 
and grant that, according to the little strength I have, 
I may imitate Your wonderful virtues.  Amen.

Prayer


God Our Father, make us joyful in the Ascension of Your Son Jesus Christ.  

May we follow Him into the new creation, for His Ascension is our glory and our hope. 

We ask this through our Lord Jesus Christ, Your Son, Who lives and reigns with You and the Holy Spirit, one God, forever.  

Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment